CHI St. Joseph Health - College Station/Bryan
Since 1936 has been caring for the communities in Bryan, College
Station, Brenham, Hearne, Navasota, Caldwell, Madisonville, and
Bellville. With the area's only Level II Trauma Center, the first
Joint Commission certified Primary Stroke Center, and the first
accredited Chest Pain Center in the Brazos Valley; CHI St. Joseph
Health is a leader in critical care and the largest provider of
cardiovascular care in the region. As an integrated healthcare
system, CHI St. Joseph Health includes a comprehensive network of
over 100 employed providers including primary care physicians,
specialists and advanced practice clinicians. The network includes
more than 20 ambulatory clinics featuring primary care, a
freestanding Emergency Room, Express Clinics, and imaging and
CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic
Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700
care sites across the U. S., from clinics and hospitals to
home-based care and virtual care services, CommonSpirit is
accessible to nearly one out of every four U.S. residents. Our
world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need
caring and our families need protection. With our combined
resources, CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy
communities, advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable, and
innovating how and where healing can happen, both inside our
hospitals and out in the community.
JOB SUMMARY / PURPOSE
Assists in patient care and preparation of surgical patients;
Performs scrub duties and related procedures;
Accountable for ensuring cleaning and maintenance of supplies and
equipment for selected specialty.
Performs in the advanced roles of preceptor, service specialist and
instrument room liaison.
ESSENTIAL KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assist surgical team in the scrubbing role according CHI St.
Joseph's policies and procedures.
2. Maintainsterile field.
3. Report immediately any breaks in aseptic technique.
4. Pass instruments, suture products,medication, and sponge
materials to surgeon.
5. Assist with retracting of tissue and organs, and suctioningby
holding the retracting
6. Instrument that has been placed by the surgeon.
7. Electrosurgical current maybe applied as directed by the
8. Perform surgical counts with the RN according to policy
9. Proficiently function in the scrub role for all services
10. Function as a resource forat least one specific service.
11. Utilize/open supplies judiciously, offers suggestions,
improvements withfocus on quality and cost containment.
12. Actively participate in product evaluations.
13. Assure appropriate equipment and supplies are available for
14. Assist RN in updating preference
15. Work closely with the instrument room as service
specialist/instrument liaison to assure provision of quality.
16. Assist in housekeeping duties as directed to insure safe
patient environment and an efficient room turnover.
17. Assist RN with circulator duties while under direct
18. Work assigned shifts, responding when called upon for
additional or emergency service as necessary and on-call according
to Perioperative policies.
19. Actively participate in providing 2 in-services per year at
unit or service level. Inservices are approved by the Manager prior
20. Attend at least 10 hours of continuing education per
21. Preceptor for students and new employees. Complete preceptor
orientation paperwork within established time frames.
22. Actively participate in unit/committee meetings and is an
active member of a professional organization.
High School Diploma/GED
Certified Surgical Technician (CST)
BLS Certification Required
Two (2) years of experience
Certified Surgical Tech
Certified Surgical Technologist
CommonSpirit Health participates in E-verify.